Thursday, January 19, 2006

We have many classes for this semester. As I said earlier in the first journal, one of the classes would be literature class, which has been taught by Dr. Edwin. For this class we have to examine plays which for me it is quiet difficult especially old plays. The languages are different from nowadays language. So, it needs more understanding so I can get the meaning of it. In addition, I also have to translate certain word into nowadays word. For instance, thou in those days are you in nowadays. It just like poetry but a little bit more difficult because a play is a long story.
As for beginner, Dr. Edwin has given us info on theatre in those days such as restoration drama, brechtian and so on. All this information has made me realise that theatre has changed from time to time. They are different in each century. Not only the language, the concept and the way it been present also changed. However, the rules in play are still the same. For instance, soliloquy is still been used until now. By knowing this kind of information has made the students easier to understand a play when they examine them. The difficulty they will face just on the language. It also helps students to dramatise it.
Dr. Edwin also stated for me the role of a good play. He gave information about this to help the students analyse a play. It also helps me a lot. By knowing the characteristics of a good play, I confidently can say that one play is good. By the time when I want to see a play, I can choose whether it is worth or not. It also helps in criticise a play because I can criticise it according to this traits. It makes my reason sensible.
As for conclusion, this first week lecture has helped me a lot in knowing what play is. I hope the next lecture I can gain more knowledge about it. Even though my heart says it hard, still I need to try my best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home